MYANMA PORT AUTHORITY
Yangon was a fishing village know by the name of Dagon up to the mid eighteenth-century. It was not yet established as a seaport then. At that time, ThanLyin, Pathein, Mottama and Pegu were mostly used as seaports.
In 1775, King Alaung Phaya seized to the territories along the Ayeyarwaddy river and reached Dagon. The name Dagon was changed to Yangon by the King.
Chronological Events of Yangon Ports
Yangon Port was managed by Chief Navigation Officer after the British annexation of Lower Myanmar in 1852.
Yangon Port was managed by Strand Bank Committee in 1876.
The Yangon Port Act was promulgated in 1879.
The Commissioner of Port of Rangoon manage it in 1880.
The new Yangon Port Act was promulgated in 1905.
Yangon Port was managed by the Board of management for the Port of Rangoon in 1954.
The Board was reorganized as Burma Port Corporation on 16 th March 1972.
The Corporation was reorganized as Myanma Port Authority on 31 st March 1989.
Photo of Strand Road in 1870
Shipping of Rangon Port in 1885
Shipping of Rangon Port in 1905
Photo of Rangoon Harbour and vessel in 1930
Photo of Barr Street Jetty and view of Yangon River in 1930
View of Yangon Port in 1938
Location of Myanma Port Authority from the view of Pansodan Street in 1989
Location of Myanma Port Authority from the view of Pansodan street in 2012